How To Make The BEST Vegetarian Wraps
Prepping The Kale
Its All About The Kale:
Kale is known to be one of the toughest dark green leafy vegetables out there, because it can be bitter, tough and tasteless even. But it is so good for us! Kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods out there. High in vitamin K,C and iron. It is packed full of antioxidants. So there is a little trick you can use to make the kale more palatable.
Tip: Add 3 handfuls of kale to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle on half a teaspoon of salt and 1 tsp of olive oil. Now massage the kale for about 5 mins to really get the oil and salt in there. Leave it for about 20 mins. Voila! Because of this the kale will be softer and more palatable, so it is perfect for this recipe.
How To Roast Chickpeas:
The main ingredient in this recipe is the roasted chickpeas. Chickpeas have been a lifesaver ever since I became a vegetarian because of their high protein content. We all know the common question of where we get our protein from, is simply answered by pulses, legumes etc. So included in that is chickpeas! These make a marvelous replacement to meat because they are so variable and you can add them to almost anything! Roasting them , gives you a crunchy snack to add to salads, wraps or to just eat by themselves!
Roasting them is easy. Simply drain and rinse one can. Pop them into an oven dish, cover with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, pop in the over at 180 for 30 mins and your done! If you wish to give them an extra flavor here are a few varieties to add to your base method.
- Honey roasted: Add 1tbsp honey and 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- BBQ: Add 1tsp BBQ spice MIX
- Curried: Add 1/2 tsp curry powder and 1/2 tsp cumin.
Simple Tzatziki Sauce
Keeping It Simple:
A Tzatziki sauce is one of the easiest sauces to make that compliment almost all dishes with chickpeas in them. So I will tell you why it is such a staple. Firstly, I love to paired it with falafel burgers, in my salads or on-top of a spicy curry to calm things down! Here is my favorite burger recipe that works wonderfully with this sauce. Easy Vegan Burger Recipe ( Under 20 mins)
Secondly, it takes max 5 mins to make! I use my homemade Greek yogurt recipe in this sauce but you can use any Greek yogurt you wish. To half a cup of yogurt add 1/4 tsp lemon juice, handful of diced cucumber, 1/4 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. I like to add a couple of chopped basil leaves in, just to add some freshness.
- 1 whole meal wrap
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tsp BBQ spice mix
- 1 handful kale
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Half an avocado
- 1/2 cup of yogurt
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- handful of diced cucumber
- 1/4 tsp olive oil
- a pinch of salt
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Pour them into an oven dish and cover with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and add spice mix.
- Mix till all chickpeas are coated.
- Put them into the oven at 180 Celsius for 30 mins.
- They should be brown and crispy once done.
- Mix sauce ingredients in one bowl.
- Lay the wrap out flat, then add the desired amount of sauce to the center of it, sprinkle on some chickpeas and kale. Finally add some sliced avocado and wrap it up!
Our Top Recipes of the Week!