This recipe was inspired by my mother who is an amazing cook and truly does ‘live of the land”. She encouraged my sisters and I to cook everything from scratch. I have realized that way, we would constantly be challenged in the kitchen and our meals would always be fresh and healthy.
This is a relatively simple recipe providing you are watching very carefully! Its very much a DIY situation with the weight and muslin cloth. We use an old paper weight and a laundry bag to strain and it works wonderfully!
1.5 litre Whole Milk
Lime juice 1-5tbsp
The equipment you will need:
- 1 muslin cloth ( Or old t-shirt)
- Weight ( Heavier the wight thicker the cheese)
- Put the milk into a large saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Then simmer for 1 min and add half a teaspoon of salt. You must keep stirring and watching !
2. When the milk starts to foam ( you will know). Turn the heat down and very slowly add half tablespoon lime juice and stir slowly, keep adding half tablespoons, while stirring till paneer starts to turn, (When you start seeing clumps form). Keep stirring slowly and do not add anymore juice.
Tip: It should look like curdled milk. (Next Image).
3. Once curdled cook on low heat for 1 min.
4. Strain through muslin bag.
5. Wrap curds in muslin cloth
6. Once wrapped weight the paneer , and leave it to drain for 24 hours in the fridge. Remove the weight and unwrap the paneer. Finally chop to desired shape and enjoy!